Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Moderator: GUtripper

<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:17 am

XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

I just bought a 1995 Cherokee sport and less than a week afterwoods it has developed a problem driving (alright parked in park or neutral) of cutting in and out and kangarooing upon acceleration, if you baby it with hardly any pressure you can coax it to move along. Upon approaching a corner or red lights it conks out or tries to. So far distributor and ecu has been replaced by the caryard but to no success. I have bought a fuel pump but it hasn't been fitted yet. Admittedly this has started occuring after I fitted a new battery, but have refitted old battery and it is still the same. It did start mucking up straight after fitting the new battery so I am also wondering whether I have bumped a wire somewhere or not......... Has anyone had these symptons? if so what fixed the problem?

Wal
<<

GUtripper

User avatar

Posts: 2006

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:28 pm

Location: Melbourne

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Id be plugging in a OB2 scan tool and checking codes.
My guess is a throttle position sensor.
The car yard replacing the distributor shows they know nothing.
Where are you based?
My friends aren't holding me back..... I'm pulling 'em forward.
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8448

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Try your fuel filter then drain the fuel tank (usually a drain plug at the bottom of the tank)

If it's been sitting in a car yard for an extended period of time with a 1/4 full tank of fuel, you have probably picked up some condensation/grit/sludge that has travel down to the filter once you started to use it regularly This almost, but not quite blocks the flow through the filter. At idle there is probably enough fuel getting through, but when you ask for more fuel by pushing the accelerator you end up with fuel starvation/bunnyhopping.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

GUtripper wrote:Id be plugging in a OB2 scan tool and checking codes.
My guess is a throttle position sensor.
The car yard replacing the distributor shows they know nothing.
Where are you based?



Based in Brisbane
<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:39 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

DamTriton wrote:Try your fuel filter then drain the fuel tank (usually a drain plug at the bottom of the tank)

If it's been sitting in a car yard for an extended period of time with a 1/4 full tank of fuel, you have probably picked up some condensation/grit/sludge that has travel down to the filter once you started to use it regularly This almost, but not quite blocks the flow through the filter. At idle there is probably enough fuel getting through, but when you ask for more fuel by pushing the accelerator you end up with fuel starvation/bunnyhopping.


It's really wierd, you can idle perfectly and also rev it up no problems but when you try to drive it the problems start
<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:42 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Bought it 5 weeks ago and the caryard has had it for 4 weeks. Am losing faith in Jeep and have been seriously considering a offer I got for a clean swap for a Pajero
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8448

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:26 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Wally26 wrote:
DamTriton wrote:Try your fuel filter then drain the fuel tank (usually a drain plug at the bottom of the tank)

If it's been sitting in a car yard for an extended period of time with a 1/4 full tank of fuel, you have probably picked up some condensation/grit/sludge that has travel down to the filter once you started to use it regularly This almost, but not quite blocks the flow through the filter. At idle there is probably enough fuel getting through, but when you ask for more fuel by pushing the accelerator you end up with fuel starvation/bunnyhopping.


It's really wierd, you can idle perfectly and also rev it up no problems but when you try to drive it the problems start

The fuel consumption under load increases more than a simple blip of the accelerator would in neutral.

If the offer is serious about the Pajero I would be considering it very strongly.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:43 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

If the offer is serious about the Pajero I would be considering it very strongly.


The Pajero is a 88 model and has a reconditioned engine. It is also from a car yard but the owner was using it as his own so it must be ok. He has gone to straddy for the week and it should be back Saturday. Unfortunately he knows the whole story so I gotta get it fixed before we swap. Even with the Jeep fixed I have lost my trust in it and Pajero parts would be a lot easier to find. So, unless the Pajero is a pile of junk I say the swap will probably go ahead( sorry jeep fans)


In the meantime. If any Jeep fans want this car... aug 95 built Jeep Cherokee Sport, new starter motor, new water pump, new harmonic balance, new fuel pump, new distributor, new ecu, rear home made drawer, nice stereo, Currently registered until the 30th to late july but will sell unregistered unless you can do a safety certificate for it. $3000 and it's yours..
<<

GUtripper

User avatar

Posts: 2006

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:28 pm

Location: Melbourne

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Mate turn the ignition key from off to ign 3-4 times, a code should come up on the odo.
Google the code or report back here.
Otherwise, take it to a jeep specialist like Hammonds at Capalaba or Murchison offroad.

The xjs run a teabag filter on the tank pick up prone to blocking, but the issue sounds more like the tps to me
I've had it in both a xj and a tj. Easy to fix.
My friends aren't holding me back..... I'm pulling 'em forward.
<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

GUtripper wrote:Mate turn the ignition key from off to ign 3-4 times, a code should come up on the odo.
Google the code or report back here.
Otherwise, take it to a jeep specialist like Hammonds at Capalaba or Murchison offroad.

The xjs run a teabag filter on the tank pick up prone to blocking, but the issue sounds more like the tps to me
I've had it in both a xj and a tj. Easy to fix.



Still got old analogue odo, tried it but nothing come up on the dash anywhere
<<

Wally26

Posts: 7

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 am

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:42 am

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

this problem surfaced almost immediately after changing a battery... is it possible that the red terminal touching with the bonnet could be the problem because i didn't get the red cover fully over the terminal
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8448

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: XJ Cherokee Sport cutting in and out

Wally26 wrote:this problem surfaced almost immediately after changing a battery... is it possible that the red terminal touching with the bonnet could be the problem because i didn't get the red cover fully over the terminal

Absolutely could be the problem if it is a close fit. Has there been any issues with general lighting or radio cutting out when the fault occurs (intermittent shorting out the battery)? Is the battery very securely tied down (no flex in the mounting points)?

Could you try another smaller battery, or get one with the posts on the other side of the battery to relieve the stress on the positive cable?

Any chance of posting a picture so we can see the general layout?
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".

Return to Jeep

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.
eBay Sniper
Time : 0.105s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off | Load : 0.22