Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What are people's thoughts on speed humps in your street?

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Got a letter fro the council today stating that they want to put one right near my place.

I'm not happy for a number of reasons, including:

Potential for reduction in property values, having one near your house
Increased noise as vehicles thump over them
Increased noise as vehicles slow down and accelerate away from them
The inevitable Bogans doing burnouts as they take off from them
They're fugly
Extra wear and tear on mine and others' vehicles
Extra fuel consumption/cost/greenhouse gas emissions as a result of impeding free flow of traffic (Gotta get the environmental concerns in there, it IS the council ;) ) And not to mention Increased air pollution

RN? Any suggestions/comments mate?
bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

DamTriton

God of Athiests

Post Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:57 am

Re: What are people's thoughts on speed humps in your street

Ask the council for their traffic management plan, and thei justification for the traffic calming device.

I'm guessing that it would be cheaper for them to put in a $2000 (?) speed hump, than to actually spend money fixing the reason for the rat-running. If the issue is with a semi-major intersection (traffic lights), then get a petition together from your neighborhood about fixing the SOURCE of the issue, and not the CONSEQUENCES from it.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm

DamTriton wrote:Ask the council for their traffic management plan, and thei justification for the traffic calming device.

I'm guessing that it would be cheaper for them to put in a $2000 (?) speed hump, than to actually spend money fixing the reason for the rat-running. If the issue is with a semi-major intersection (traffic lights), then get a petition together from your neighborhood about fixing the SOURCE of the issue, and not the CONSEQUENCES from it.

I think the main reason is because somebody has complained about cars speeding on our street. There is a school just down the hill too.

I suspect part of the reason for the increased amount of speeding traffic is that the main drag up to the back of the suburb, where the last remnants of Bogansi Franganorfi are to be found, has been choked up with speed humps, so they've discovered this alternative route.

I'm going to suggest a traffic island in the middle of the street at the end intersection to prevent them from carrying any decent speed into the street in the first place.

Fark 'em! :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:
<<

DamTriton

God of Athiests

Post Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Goatse.AJ wrote:
DamTriton wrote:Ask the council for their traffic management plan, and thei justification for the traffic calming device.

I think the main reason is because somebody has complained about cars speeding on our street. There is a school just down the hill too.

I suspect part of the reason for the increased amount of speeding traffic is that the main drag up to the back of the suburb, where the last remnants of Bogansi Franganorfi are to be found, has been choked up with speed humps, so they've discovered this alternative route.

I'm going to suggest a traffic island in the middle of the street at the end intersection to prevent them from carrying any decent speed into the street in the first place.

Fark 'em! :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

Block one end of the street off?
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Ah. Ralphy roll backs. Speed humps are effective for most but 4wds tend to eat them.

There are many in your area AJ and as a lot of bogan Commodore drivers tend to lower their cars the humps are a ball dragging handicap for them. :)

I took a call from a person who had been campaigning for years to get them but bitched winged when it was learnt that one was going outside her home.....
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm

RN wrote:Ah. Ralphy roll backs. Speed humps are effective for most but 4wds tend to eat them.

There are many in your area AJ and as a lot of bogan Commodore drivers tend to lower their cars the humps are a ball dragging handicap for them. :)

I took a call from a person who had been campaigning for years to get them but bitched winged when it was learnt that one was going outside her home.....

Only needs one of your minions to sit at along my street with the laser and they could cover your retirement fund in a couple of days mate ;-)

Last blitz got a few customers, and reminded others that it's not a highway :armsup: :armsup:
<<

RN

Post Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Speed humps don't go to court, never go sick, never have week ends a off. 24/7 dedication
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:56 am

RN wrote:Speed humps don't go to court, never go sick, never have week ends a off. 24/7 dedication

Bloody noisy and ugly though. I'd rather see Senior Constable Ash Bowden sitting out there, waiting for a mate.

Haha, does he get many people putting the "Highway Patrol voice-over Dude" voice on when they speak to him? "Hi, is that Senior Constable Ash Bowden?"

I know nuthink ;)
<<

Puddles

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 am

We've got them just up the road from us (In canberra they're everywhere - the single lane rubber ones)
If I'm in the zook, I just hit them - can't get it up past 60kp/h anyway so that's fine. In the WRX I can hit them at 100 and not feel it, in the forester, depending on who's in the car will depend on how I proceed.

Regardless, I think they have their place in certain areas, leading into school zones or shared crossings etc, but as mentioned, Canberra has them everywhere and it's getting a bit stupid really. People end up doing skids and melting through them anyway lol.
This sentence is false
<<

GUtripper

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:46 am

In the GU, raised pavement sections are much better at 80 rather than 40 :)
On the bikes, I wish they were closer so I could try and double them
But, really, Im a responsible driver. Really.
Good health is just the slowest rate at which you still die.
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Thing is, they just don't slow the cawkheads down that are the reason for putting them in, and they inconvenience everybody else :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:
<<

date

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 pm

They put speed humps in the in-laws place in Sydney. It is a very narrow street, and it gets a lot of through traffic which tries to by-pass the main shopping centre. All the hoons do is slow down to avoid damaging their lowered hoonmobiles, and then flatten it to the next hump, wheelspinning in the process. It makes more noise than if there was no hump there. Sydney has a lot of hoons, and this area seems to have more than its fair share of them. Australian born **banese, most of them. Not nice. Nowadays, it is a case of spot the Aussie around Sydney.
<<

RN

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Rat run streets are a problem.
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:24 am

RN wrote:Rat run streets are a problem.

They are.

I just really hate the lack of consultation and the very short period they give you to voice objections. There's always an alternative, especially when local knowledge is consulted.

Anyways, I emailed the Chief Traffic Engineer, outlining my objections, and suggested an alternative. It took 4 days to get hold of him by phone, eating into the precious few days we have to lodge objections. When I finally got to speak to him, at first he was pretty much, "the decision is made.....", but I ripped him severely and suggested he watch a few episodes of "Yes Minister". He had no clue what that was until I explained it to him.

He tried the line that only TWO residents had objected, but I kept on that most of the elderly neighbours don't have access to email, and those that had tried to call had given up after many attempts. I've since spoken to most of the neighbours, and will assist a couple of them to write an email objection, and have asked the remainder to contact his direct number.

Between us, we've agreed that the most acceptable, and probably most effective solution will be to put a traffic island at the end of the street to prevent vehicles carrying existing speed into the street in the first place, and replacing the speed hump down at the school with a much more aggressive one. The Traffic Engineer appears to be at least partially amenable to those options.

We'll see what happens next.
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:26 am

GUtripper wrote:In the GU, raised pavement sections are much better at 80 rather than 40 :)
On the bikes, I wish they were closer so I could try and double them
But, really, Im a responsible driver. Really.

Inner Western Sydney used to have some awesome speed humps for dirt bikes. :armsup: :armsup:
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:29 am

date wrote:They put speed humps in the in-laws place in Sydney. It is a very narrow street, and it gets a lot of through traffic which tries to by-pass the main shopping centre. All the hoons do is slow down to avoid damaging their lowered hoonmobiles, and then flatten it to the next hump, wheelspinning in the process. It makes more noise than if there was no hump there. Sydney has a lot of hoons, and this area seems to have more than its fair share of them. Australian born **banese, most of them. Not nice. Nowadays, it is a case of spot the Aussie around Sydney.

The burnouts as they take off from them is one of my major issues. The knob at the council even agreed, so that sort of pushed into a reconsideration....

And it isn't just Lebs. It's ANY bogan that gets off on burnouts. Personally, I don't see the point or the attraction of burnouts. To me, it just says you can't drive, like wannabe drag racers and squids on bikes.
<<

RN

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 pm

AJ. They aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. In fact they are usually dumb crunts with an inferiority complex. The scientific explanation is that they think their dicks get bigger.
<<

DamTriton

God of Athiests

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 am

You want speed humps? Try the back streets of Frankston.

Have/need speed, will "hump".
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:19 am

RN wrote:AJ. They aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. In fact they are usually dumb crunts with an inferiority complex. The scientific explanation is that they think their dicks get bigger.

I guess I'm not allowed to do anything to prevent said dumb crnuts from breeding mate? :cry:
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 am

DamTriton wrote:You want speed humps? Try the back streets of Frankston.

Have/need speed, will "hump".

This IS the back streets of Franga. I'm trying to avoid THIS part of Franga becoming like THAT part of Franga.
<<

CRUZAAMAD

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:45 am

Goatse.AJ wrote:
RN wrote:Ah. Ralphy roll backs. Speed humps are effective for most but 4wds tend to eat them.

Only needs one of your minions to sit at along my street with the laser and they could cover your retirement fund in a couple of days mate ;-)

Last blitz got a few customers, and reminded others that it's not a highway :armsup: :armsup:

Try a red HILTI dual chemical applicator gun
looks just like a speed gun
done the trick for us when working on the M7
Over the casula overpass section

I never had soo much fun watching my mate hold it up
and they slowed down !!!! :rofl: :lol:
AUSTRALIA
WORTH LOOKING AT WORTH LOOKING AFTER
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

CRUZAAMAD wrote:
Goatse.AJ wrote:

Yeeeaaaah, but this IS Victoria. You could technically get done for impersonating for that.
<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:40 pm

Goatse.AJ wrote:
CRUZAAMAD wrote:
Goatse.AJ wrote:

Yeeeaaaah, but this IS Victoria. You could technically get done for impersonating for that.

Nope
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

RN

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am

Knew of a country copper who had a speeding problem through his town. He didn't have a hand held radar so he borrowed his wife's hair dryer. Drivers assumed it was a radar and slowed down.
<<

Puddles

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:36 pm

RN wrote:Knew of a country copper who had a speeding problem through his town. He didn't have a hand held radar so he borrowed his wife's hair dryer. Drivers assumed it was a radar and slowed down.

Lol
This sentence is false
<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Never used a hair dryer but the old elastic sided boots they used to issue years ago used to have the same effect.
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 am

Well, we had a "win" on the speed humps. They decided to put a "proper" one in down at the school, withdrew the proposal to install one out the front of my place, and have a plan to install a centre kerb structure at the end of the street to make it harder to carry speed around the corner. We'll see what happens......
<<

longlux

Subversive Bucolicism

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:47 am

Goatse.AJ wrote:Well, we had a "win" on the speed humps. They decided to put a "proper" one in down at the school, withdrew the proposal to install one out the front of my place, and have a plan to install a centre kerb structure at the end of the street to make it harder to carry speed around the corner. We'll see what happens......

Something to test the flex on :lol:
Workplace Safety :
Destroying our forests one Take 5 at a time.

Every time you do a Take 5 an Orangutan cries.

https://www.facebook.com/shadowthetravelcat
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 pm

longlux wrote:
Goatse.AJ wrote:Well, we had a "win" on the speed humps. They decided to put a "proper" one in down at the school, withdrew the proposal to install one out the front of my place, and have a plan to install a centre kerb structure at the end of the street to make it harder to carry speed around the corner. We'll see what happens......

If only I had a Commondore ;-)
<<

DamTriton

God of Athiests

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm

longlux wrote:

That would be bumper bar /air spliiter flex?
Next

Return to General Chit-Chat