Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mid life crisis...

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:55 pm

Mid life crisis...

Firstly, yes I am ok.

As I have posted here before, I have been trying to get a non-nursing career going by way of WHS/Occupational Hygiene.

Not happy with the course.

It seems to have gone the same way as nursing did when it went from hospital based to university, ie, way too much "fluff" academically. (FYI university went from a very practical, specific course, to now one whose participants include public health with a very general WHS basis lacking "guts"). The guts and money have gone from WHS, and Occ Hyg isn't faring that well either of late.

Reluctantly I have decided that this is not the future for me.

What has caught my eye of late (couple of years) is an increase in the use of drones (quadcopters etc). The investigation of this as a potential new career has been promising (ca $5k to become a UAV pilot, $10-15k to set up an "airline" where you can actually employ other licensed "pilots") Inset lots of CASA legislation here.

I will shortly have access to superannuation and have been thinking along the "pilot" for a year prior to full on "airline".

Thoughts?
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

PRZOOK

User avatar

Posts: 1161

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:01 am

Location: Sydney

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am

Re: Mid life crisis...

Could always go for a light weight drone (Less than 2kgs), then you don't need a licence at all (Just need to notify CASA that you are operating commercially). Great way to get your feet wet and to get your name out there for a fairly low start up. I own a Phantom 4 and with all the smarts on-board it is easy to get nice clean footage at 4k. Using the Point Of Interest and Tracking options allows you to focus on the camera, rather than the flying which is half the battle.
Yea...That's drivable.....You go first
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

Pretty much what I was looking at (DJI PHANTOM 4) but getting 3rd party insurance coverage for true commercial operations is near on impossible without the RePL.

I have some "big stuff" experience (PPL) years ago, and basic remote control experience (3 channel) when I was 12-15 years old (40 years ago....) so not entirely new to me.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

PRZOOK

User avatar

Posts: 1161

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:01 am

Location: Sydney

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

Until the laws change on the 29th of September, I don't think you will find anyone willing to insure without a Licence. Once the law changes, places like http://www.avcover.com.au/ might take you on board.
Yea...That's drivable.....You go first
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

I don't think that it is going to make that much difference as a 2kg drones being "eagled" out of the air and ending up on a road has just as much 3rd party risk attached whether you have a RePL or not. Commercial ops sans liability insurance is not going to be marketable to business, "legal" or not.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

toaddog

User avatar

Tickle me!

Posts: 3906

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 pm

Post Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

Moved as requested DT
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

Goatse.AJ

User avatar

Posts: 14490

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:09 pm

Location: Trip Trip Trappin' across a bridge

Post Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:14 am

Re: Mid life crisis...

A friend of my ex is a cinematographer by trade. She did all her quad training and tickets a couple of years ago. I'll see what I can find out from her........

Another mate does a bit of freelance work with his Phantom(?). Pay is OK, but sporadic. He works up the chain for one of the big Telco's so the $$$ aren't such an issue for him.

I've just started acquiring parts to build one of these for playing/racing. Depending on how I spec it, top speed should be between 80 and 160kmh:

Image

There's even a version specially for RN:

Image


I scored one of these for my birthday recently:

Image

Really just a toy, but great to learn to fly, with "HD" 720p FPV and it records to a micro SD card. Top speed would be less than 30 kmh :cry: Parts are cheap if you buy direct from China.

I'd recommend learning to fly some of the toy ones before lashing out heaps of dollars on something you might crash or lose.


Even these little minis are excellent to learn how to fly. 17 bucks straight from China on Aliexpress. I also bought a heap of batteries for the different ones. Prices are often as low as 20% of AUS retail on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JJRC-H8-Mini-Headless-Mode-2-4G-4CH-6-Axis-RC-Quadcopter-with-360-Degree-Rollover/32692200286.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.3.qmyNaO&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_2_10057_10056_10065_10037_10068_10055_10054_10069_301_10059_10033_10058_10032_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_2&btsid=805fe997-8518-44b0-8920-713f8181d967

Image
bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

udlman

User avatar

King of Wishful Thinking

Posts: 1219

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:47 am

Location: Brisvegas

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Mid life crisis...

CASA have made it law that you need to be a commercial pilot to be able to sell any video/stills captured from an airborne platform. There are some very strict protocols that need to followed. CASA have the authority to sieze anything that doesn't comply.
Rule #1 - Never argue with an idiot.
Rule #2 - If you find an idiot trying to argue a point, Refer to Rule #1
<<

V8Patrol

User avatar

God of Magnificant Ideas!

Posts: 6778

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:22 am

Location: Balls Deep

Post Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:55 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

I've been out of it for around 8months now after the right sum of money was offered for my gear. :)


Started off with a cheap unit from AustPost as a xmas bag filler..... then came the Walkera Tali 500 kit, this was a big stepup but it was easy to use once the practice was had, my reasoning was as an aid to the photography side of my hobby.
It wasn't long before I was asked to do farm or property shots and this as it turned out was quite a good money spinner on the side, real estate agents were paying well and farmers knew exactly what it cost to hire a Cessna and a photographer or videographer so money was good from them too.

My real aim then became to lift a Canon dslr for better results so custom 8motor rig with duel props per motor was built and soon became my main work horse (at great expense)...... & its about the time I started to have issues with the public.
It soon became obvious that some people have something to hide and dont take to the idea that they "might" have been photographed inadvertently doing the wrong thing, one girl was actually out with her bloke on the sly and I was accused of spying on her ......

A month or so after that a chance meeting with a crew from channel 10 saw me filming the whales from the local tourist viewing point for their new morning show Studio 10.... shortly after that they offered me what I'd paid for my rig so I took the cheque and moved on.
That drone is still used by channel 10 :)

Whith the change from that sale I then added a dji phantom to the Walkera, the dji was more user friendly although not as good at stable flight.... this then had me change direction again, the dji was ideal for indoor use
;)
Weddings were soon on the income as were debutant balls and other major functions..... just had to keep the flight time to an absolute minimum as noise was an issue for many of the guests in the smaller venues but bigger places allowed a bit more scope and flight time.
Churches were the hardest as the priests weren't overly happy about it but always obliged so long as it was kept very minimal flight time (hymn singing time was the best time to fly ;) )

It wasn't long before the local wedding photographer realised there's money he's missing out on and so I sold on the dji for what I'd paid for it.

Left with the Walkera only, I went back to what I'd bought it for in the first place.....photography
Decided to do some photography and drone work at the local hill-climb just for my own personal use / playtime, and that's when the editor of the local newspaper spotted the drone and saw the results that the Walkera was capable of and...... thats when I sold the Walkera


I haven't bothered as yet to go shopping for my next droneas nothing on the market really appeals to me at the moment although another Walkera with the canon G11 mounted underneath is rattling around in the head at the moment as a fun toy.


There is money to be made.....
Ariel real estate photography is going off right now = $$$
Event photography is also right up there too.
Stay away from local sporting events = NO $$$$ or sfa !!!
Weddings are great => find a video guy to work with ;)
Indoor functions are tricky but well worth the effort, again get in with a video guy ;)
& finally... property photography, this covers everything from the local Vinyard for advertising flyers to the local hardware stores junkmail flyer.

The dji was the easiest to fly and although limited in comparison to the Walkera it had better abilities inside of halls and churches.
The Walkera was awsome, harder to master but worth the effort in the end to get on top of its little quirky things.

My best advice. ....... start with the dji phantom, then once your confidence is up there then get a Walkera....
After that the wallet is the limit ;)

The 8 motor 16 prop rig easily lifted the full frame D5 Canon with a 400mm lens to up around 1200 metres and had a 30minute flight time available. ... but that will set you back an easy 10k and you bring the camera gear.


Side note:
Old mate in Queensland police force has been the crime scene photographer for many years now and has worked on all the major murders up there .... in the last 12 months they have moved into drone work as a crutial part of crime scene work.
The rules regarding the drone use is very strict and the manual he showed me is an inch thick of what can be done and whats a big NO NO...
Many of the limitations in that manual will eventually become law for public drone users, its now law in Qld that you cant fly above 400 metres and the list of "restricted air spaces" is rapidly growing.

So if you go down this path..... get hold of the regs and understand what the government want to bring in to improve it all (read how to get money for nothing)
;)
And your cry-baby, whinyassed opinion would be.....?
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:07 am

Re: Mid life crisis...

V8Patrol wrote:I've been out of it for around 8months now after the right sum of money was offered for my gear. :)


Started off with a cheap unit from AustPost as a xmas bag filler..... then came the Walkera Tali 500 kit, this was a big stepup but it was easy to use once the practice was had, my reasoning was as an aid to the photography side of my hobby.
It wasn't long before I was asked to do farm or property shots and this as it turned out was quite a good money spinner on the side, real estate agents were paying well and farmers knew exactly what it cost to hire a Cessna and a photographer or videographer so money was good from them too.

My real aim then became to lift a Canon dslr for better results so custom 8motor rig with duel props per motor was built and soon became my main work horse (at great expense)...... & its about the time I started to have issues with the public.
It soon became obvious that some people have something to hide and dont take to the idea that they "might" have been photographed inadvertently doing the wrong thing, one girl was actually out with her bloke on the sly and I was accused of spying on her ......

A month or so after that a chance meeting with a crew from channel 10 saw me filming the whales from the local tourist viewing point for their new morning show Studio 10.... shortly after that they offered me what I'd paid for my rig so I took the cheque and moved on.
That drone is still used by channel 10 :)

Whith the change from that sale I then added a dji phantom to the Walkera, the dji was more user friendly although not as good at stable flight.... this then had me change direction again, the dji was ideal for indoor use
;)
Weddings were soon on the income as were debutant balls and other major functions..... just had to keep the flight time to an absolute minimum as noise was an issue for many of the guests in the smaller venues but bigger places allowed a bit more scope and flight time.
Churches were the hardest as the priests weren't overly happy about it but always obliged so long as it was kept very minimal flight time (hymn singing time was the best time to fly ;) )

It wasn't long before the local wedding photographer realised there's money he's missing out on and so I sold on the dji for what I'd paid for it.

Left with the Walkera only, I went back to what I'd bought it for in the first place.....photography
Decided to do some photography and drone work at the local hill-climb just for my own personal use / playtime, and that's when the editor of the local newspaper spotted the drone and saw the results that the Walkera was capable of and...... thats when I sold the Walkera


I haven't bothered as yet to go shopping for my next droneas nothing on the market really appeals to me at the moment although another Walkera with the canon G11 mounted underneath is rattling around in the head at the moment as a fun toy.


There is money to be made.....
Ariel real estate photography is going off right now = $$$
Event photography is also right up there too.
Stay away from local sporting events = NO $$$$ or sfa !!!
Weddings are great => find a video guy to work with ;)
Indoor functions are tricky but well worth the effort, again get in with a video guy ;)
& finally... property photography, this covers everything from the local Vinyard for advertising flyers to the local hardware stores junkmail flyer.

The dji was the easiest to fly and although limited in comparison to the Walkera it had better abilities inside of halls and churches.
The Walkera was awsome, harder to master but worth the effort in the end to get on top of its little quirky things.

My best advice. ....... start with the dji phantom, then once your confidence is up there then get a Walkera....
After that the wallet is the limit ;)

The 8 motor 16 prop rig easily lifted the full frame D5 Canon with a 400mm lens to up around 1200 metres and had a 30minute flight time available. ... but that will set you back an easy 10k and you bring the camera gear.


Side note:
Old mate in Queensland police force has been the crime scene photographer for many years now and has worked on all the major murders up there .... in the last 12 months they have moved into drone work as a crutial part of crime scene work.
The rules regarding the drone use is very strict and the manual he showed me is an inch thick of what can be done and whats a big NO NO...
Many of the limitations in that manual will eventually become law for public drone users, its now law in Qld that you cant fly above 400 metres and the list of "restricted air spaces" is rapidly growing.

So if you go down this path..... get hold of the regs and understand what the government want to bring in to improve it all (read how to get money for nothing)
;)

HUGE THANKS for the insight. Pretty much as I thought.

Living on the Gold Coast, real estate could be a good start, high rise building inspection and other structure photography such as gas and water lines, and power lines.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

V8Patrol

User avatar

God of Magnificant Ideas!

Posts: 6778

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:22 am

Location: Balls Deep

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

Image


This is beginning to appear on a regular basis.....
Read the bottom lines ;)
And your cry-baby, whinyassed opinion would be.....?
<<

Foo on patrol

User avatar

Posts: 1241

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:09 am

Location: Sandstone Point

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

A good perspective of what is going on. :cool:

Foo
<<

CRUZAAMAD

User avatar

Posts: 737

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Location: SMUGGLING COOOOOKIES ACROSS THE MEXICAN BORDER

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

I worked on the wyangala dam spillway :armsup:
one of the better jobs ive done..
middle of summer was bloody hot :lol:

in the boom with lake/weir views
cant be beat :D

camped over the weekend during the 2week just down on the reserve about 30mins away
Great job
wished it went for alot longer than it did
AUSTRALIA
WORTH LOOKING AT WORTH LOOKING AFTER
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

CRUZAAMAD wrote:I worked on the wyangala dam spillway :armsup:
one of the better jobs ive done..
middle of summer was bloody hot :lol:

in the boom with lake/weir views
cant be beat :D

camped over the weekend during the 2week just down on the reserve about 30mins away
Great job
wished it went for alot longer than it did


Thanks for that, definitely a new career path over the next few months... :armsup:
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

PRZOOK

User avatar

Posts: 1161

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:01 am

Location: Sydney

Post Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

DamTriton wrote:I don't think that it is going to make that much difference as a 2kg drones being "eagled" out of the air and ending up on a road has just as much 3rd party risk attached whether you have a RePL or not. Commercial ops sans liability insurance is not going to be marketable to business, "legal" or not.


Someone from another forum just posted that they approached QBE about insurance with the under 2kg rule for commercial use.

They approached QBE Commercial Aviation insurance and received a quote today for $1400/year + $100 annual AAUS membership + a one time training course.

So looks like they are coming to the party.
Yea...That's drivable.....You go first
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

PRZOOK wrote:
DamTriton wrote:I don't think that it is going to make that much difference as a 2kg drones being "eagled" out of the air and ending up on a road has just as much 3rd party risk attached whether you have a RePL or not. Commercial ops sans liability insurance is not going to be marketable to business, "legal" or not.


Someone from another forum just posted that they approached QBE about insurance with the under 2kg rule for commercial use.

They approached QBE Commercial Aviation insurance and received a quote today for $1400/year + $100 annual AAUS membership + a one time training course.

So looks like they are coming to the party.


So it sounds like this is being recognized as a viable industry.

$1400 for the appropriate insurance over a year isn't bad at all (assuming that it is for $20m liability, and not simply hull insurance).

AAus will be my next point of call to find out more.

I already have an ABN so it may be time to get a business plan up and running, putting together the numbers and running it past an accountant.

Once again thanks for the insight.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

DamTriton

User avatar

God of Athiests

Posts: 8498

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:14 am

Location: Drownsville if not Brownsville

Post Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Mid life crisis...

Had look the AAUS site - basically a lobby group hoping to get some relevance by imposing their own non-enforcable standards on top of the existing legislation requirements (flight rules, noise, through to privacy). Not quite sure of the value if you are already on track with the legislative requirements.

Looking at a March-April move to a new career.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".

Return to General Chit-Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.
eBay Sniper
Time : 0.110s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off | Load : 0.05