FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tech warning - DIY your own drawers

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

rockcrawler31

Location: Blue Mountains, or on a rig somewhere in bumf*ck idaho

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Tech warning - DIY your own drawers

I built these for my brother in law. Thought i'd share the process with you all. I won't be able to describe all the steps so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I designed them on CAD taking all the best design cues from commercial units. Yes i plagiarised the hell out of them, i freely admit it. If you download a program called Draftsight it's free and has all the functionality that autocad has. Save the file as a DXF as that's what your laser cutter needs. These aren't the cheapest way of DIY'ing drawers but they're solid, work well and still a fraction of the cost of buying them. We have about 850 in materials in these, mainly because they're over the magic 1200mm mark that a standard sheet is wide.

If you take anything away from this, it's that you MUST spend a bit of time in the design phase. Once the parts are cut and bent there's no going back if it's wrong, you're in the hole for cash. So with that in mind, pay attention to -

1. Parts interference and clearance. Make sure that ALL components will clear others through out the range of motion. That includes sheet metal, fasteners, carpeting, latch mechanisms.

2. take into account material thicknesses when bending. If a hole is 10mm from the edge of a 1.5mm sheet, and another 10mm from a fold line, then once folded the hole will be 11.5mm from the outside edge of the fold line.

Parts and materials ready for assembly

My end plates are rivetted to the body of the drawers. The top edge has a 180 degree fold called either a "fold and crush" or a "safety edge. The tops of the drawers have a double 10mm return to provide stiffness

http://www.populationparty.org.au/
<<

rockcrawler31

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:40 pm

Re: Tech warning - DIY your own drawers

This is what happens when you don't take material thickness into account. A quick hit with a burr fixed this

I rarely use cheap chinese stuff when building but for the bearings i do. They're not seeing anywhere near their rated load and rotating minimal times over the life of the drawers. At half the price it made sense. The narrow OD washers are to keep the arbor off the wall without binding up the race.

<<

rockcrawler31

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:49 pm

They're not in this pic, but the lid is fixed with what's called a "panel clip". It's a C shaped clip with a hole on one side and a threaded hole the other. They allow you to screw in without access to the other side and they'll wiggle or move a bit if the hole in the timber isn't quite aligned right. Note the holes in the front trim plate for the latch tongues

The holes in the lid are countersunk to allow the screws to sit flush. To mark out the holes invert the frame on to the timber and use a pen to scribe the holes on to the timber then drill them.

The carpet is glued down on both timber and steel surfaces but also a cheap air stapler is used to secure the carpet on the timber. Make sure you get a decent sized tin of glue as the carpet will eat it up like it's tictacs.

<<

rockcrawler31

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Last post. I hope this has helped someone or encouraged them to have a go

Spring loaded handles will stop rattles

The RHS tube is bolted to the drawers and washers are added between the bearings and the walls to shim them out and take up any gaps to the drawer bodies.

All that's left is to custom fit the wings and wing covers, and an alloy trim strip to the front.

Here's what happens when you don't glue ALL the surface area. Make sure you use glue everywhere that will be seen.

<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Nice work.
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

80's_delirious

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:53 am

Nice work, and bomb proof as always Milo!
RN wrote:pussy is out, its the log for me... Thank you Jesus.
<<

CRUZAAMAD

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:38 pm

rockcrawler31 wrote:Last post. I hope this has helped someone or encouraged them to have a go

Spring loaded handles will stop rattles

The RHS tube is bolted to the drawers and washers are added between the bearings and the walls to shim them out and take up any gaps to the drawer bodies.

All that's left is to custom fit the wings and wing covers, and an alloy trim strip to the front.

DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL DROOL

Here's what happens when you don't glue ALL the surface area. Make sure you use glue everywhere that will be seen.

AUSTRALIA
WORTH LOOKING AT WORTH LOOKING AFTER
<<

rockcrawler31

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks cruza, nothing beats seeing something come together from a drawing to the finished product
<<

udlman

King of Wishful Thinking

Post Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:01 pm

What did you use on the tail of the bolts on the other side of the center spine?
Rule #1 - Never argue with an idiot.
Rule #2 - If you find an idiot trying to argue a point, Refer to Rule #1
<<

rockcrawler31

Post Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:16 am

udlman wrote:What did you use on the tail of the bolts on the other side of the center spine?

There's a bearing/washer/nut assembly both sides. You have to choose your bolt length and nut dimensions carefully so as not to foul the drawer body
<<

udlman

King of Wishful Thinking

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:57 pm

rockcrawler31 wrote:
udlman wrote:What did you use on the tail of the bolts on the other side of the center spine?

There's a bearing/washer/nut assembly both sides. You have to choose your bolt length and nut dimensions carefully so as not to foul the drawer body

That's what I thought. Must have use 1/2 nuts and loctite as nylocs would have been too thick.
Rule #1 - Never argue with an idiot.
Rule #2 - If you find an idiot trying to argue a point, Refer to Rule #1
<<

bru21

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Awesome work mate! Well done.
We use these guys; https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au/shop/ ... er-system/
double the price of yours though!
ADHD Racing would like to thank
Mrs Bru @ Sunshine Coast Developmental Physiotherapy - www.scdphysio.com.au , Ryano @ Fourbys www.generaltire.com.au Blitzkrieg Motorsport

Return to General Chit-Chat