Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bunnings or Masters

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:10 am

Bunnings or Masters

There is a Masters ( Woolworths) in Carrum Downs and recently Bunnings (Wesfarmers) opened a new store just next door to it. You'd think that there would be fierce competition but I don't see a massive price war happening. Woolies is on the nose with staff being let go across their chain of retail stores and their CEO brought in from the UK has left the company on 'health issues' .

I've been in Masters a few times but its nothing special. I know my way around Bunnings fairly well as they are mores established.

STRUGGLING hardware chain Masters is continuing its expansion despite haemorrhaging cash from parent company Woolworths, leaving investors and analysts reeling.
With pressure mounting ahead of Woolworths’ full-year financial results announcement next Friday, speculation is rife that the supermarket giant may close down or sell off the chain.
The company looks to be years away from making a profit, with losses of $200 million forecast for the financial year including $51 million in the three months to July 31, according to The Australian.
The business is understood to have already notched up at least $500 million in losses, but Masters is pushing on with plans to open new stores. Construction is under way at two new sites in Sydney and Melbourne, which will bring the national tally to 63 stores.
The new outlet scheduled to open in October at Penrith in Sydney’s western suburbs has been identified as a “strategic and high potential location”.
Another new store is scheduled to open in Cranbourne North, on Melbourne’s south-eastern fringe, in November.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 7493455474

The big hardware chain that was supposed to brawl with Bunnings hasn’t landed a punch. Woolworths Limited – which owns Masters – may even decide to shut all 54 Masters stores.

Woolworths Limited also owns Woolworths supermarkets. So Masters problems could affect us even if we don’t buy hardware.

If Masters is losing money, it’s harder for Woolworths Limited to send its supermarkets into a price war with Coles and Aldi and still make big profits.

Could losses at Masters mean higher grocery prices for shoppers at Woolworths supermarkets? I asked the question of a Woolworths spokesman and he declined to answer. Make of that what you will.

But back to the hardware market. Bunnings is king. It made over $1 billion in profit for its parent company Wesfarmers last year. Wesfarmers will open 35-40 new Bunnings stores in the next two years. Every man and his kids are lining up there on the weekend for a sausage.
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

mkpatrol

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Bunnings or Masters

I prefer old mate at the local Mitre 10 but he was sent out of business by Bunnings........
Don't ask me, ask them. I'm just runnin for my life myself.
Well they are all following you...
No they ain't, I'm just in front...............
<<

stockhorse

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Masters is only 30% owned by woolworths the other 70% being Lowes hardware. Lowes have said they are prepared to carry a loss for 5 years perhaps more. Free trade agreements will greatly effect what masters could shortly have on its shelves and the lower Australian dollar will help Masters with their profit margins.
we will see what develops I guess.
<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:59 pm

They are across the road from each other up this way.

Easy to get prices from both and try and beat them down.
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

RN

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:43 pm

toaddog wrote:They are across the road from each other up this way.

Easy to get prices from both and try and beat them down.

Do they budge ?
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

stockhorse

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:05 pm

I bet the argument is.............we don't carry that exact brand so can't compare prices and offer a discount, sorry.
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:28 pm

stockhorse wrote:I bet the argument is.............we don't carry that exact brand so can't compare prices and offer a discount, sorry.

Bingo!
bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

RN

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Goatse.AJ wrote:
stockhorse wrote:I bet the argument is.............we don't carry that exact brand so can't compare prices and offer a discount, sorry.

Bingo!

AJ...re Carrum downs store.....Mate I can walk in next door and buy their brand or stay here and buy your brand...what can you do to convince me to buy your brand...??
<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:00 pm

RN wrote:
Goatse.AJ wrote:

Bingo!

AJ...re Carrum downs store.....Mate I can walk in next door and buy their brand or stay here and buy your brand...what can you do to convince me to buy your brand...??

This
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

V8Patrol

God of Magnificant Ideas!

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:55 am

stockhorse wrote:Masters is only 30% owned by woolworths the other 70% being Lowes hardware. Lowes have said they are prepared to carry a loss for 5 years perhaps more. Free trade agreements will greatly effect what masters could shortly have on its shelves and the lower Australian dollar will help Masters with their profit margins.

When PAULS milk (actually an Italian company -*Parmalat) came here they were more than happy to drop 20million a month while they were getting a foothold and sales going, they had a plan of that happening for 5 years
:shock:

they have a huge customer base overseas, in particular America..... that 20million is like you loosing a 5cent piece to the gap between the console and seat of your car
:crazyeyes:
And your cry-baby, whinyassed opinion would be.....?
<<

DamTriton

God of Athiests

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Goatse.AJ wrote:

Bingo!

Same applies to Officeworks with their "price match guarantee ". All the stuff they have has different stock numbers to equipment that is stocked by other companies, although the actual difference may only be in accent colors, functionally being EXACTLY the same.

Good luck trying to find an EXACT model match..... Guess how they squirm out of their "guarantee"?
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

oldmate

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that price matching only happens on the one product.

You wouldn't go to a Toyota dealer and argue that the Land Cruiser is functionally the same as a Patrol and expect them to sell you one for 60k...

It's pretty easy to find the same product in multiple stores. Particularly with technology and places like office works. They sell the same brand phones, tablets, cameras and other stuff you find anywhere else.

Same goes for bunnings. You usually find the common names like Kinchrome, Stanley, Makita, etc. It's only the real low end garbage that have unique to store names. But you are a fool if you buy that junk anyway.
The worst part about being told you have Alzheimer's, is that it doesn't just happen once.
<<

BundyRumandCoke

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:33 pm

I am happy to bounce between a couple of shops and go price for price between them on a product. Recently priced a new gas stove. Not a lot of choice in town, but between Betta and Hardly Normal, I got about $70 off. If someone says they will match a price, I say no good, I want a better price.

As for the cheap junk power tools sold by Bunnings and Masters, I have a few of them, happy to use them for occasional use- I actually bought a Ryobi powerfile today for a job. With a 3 year guarantee, if it shits itself within 3 years, its back for a new one.

If I was a tradie, using powertools everyday for my living, I would be buying good quality stuff from somewhere apart from Bunnings or Masters.
Mud makes excellent toothpaste.
<<

mkpatrol

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:56 pm

oldmate wrote: It's only the real low end garbage that have unique to store names. But you are a fool if you buy that junk anyway.

I dunno.....some of the hardest working tools I have had are Ozito!
<<

V8Patrol

God of Magnificant Ideas!

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:20 pm

mkpatrol wrote:
oldmate wrote: It's only the real low end garbage that have unique to store names. But you are a fool if you buy that junk anyway.

ditto

My ozito sander has outlasted 2 MAKITA's and the Makita's were babied in comparision

replace the bearing under the orbital pad every 12 months.... cant kill it
happy ???? shit-yeah.... and at under HALF the price, who wouldn't be
:armsup:
And your cry-baby, whinyassed opinion would be.....?
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 pm

RN wrote:
Goatse.AJ wrote:

Bingo!

Tried that when I bought a new 4-stroke line trimmer recently (farkin' sick of trying to start POS 2-stroke things). Alas, no joy. So I went next door and spent my money there.
Last edited by Goatse.AJ on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 pm

V8Patrol wrote:
mkpatrol wrote:

ditto

My ozito sander has outlasted 2 MAKITA's and the Makita's were babied in comparision

And yep, I've inherited a few Ozito things over the years. I tend to treat them like cheap shit and they just keep coming back for more.
<<

mkpatrol

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 am

V8Patrol wrote:
mkpatrol wrote:

ditto

I had a heat gun that was 5 years old, it died at metre 38 of 45 of lino on the floor of the house. It was on max all day for a couple of days, that shit was hard to get off, not even a scraper would do it. God knows how much work it had done before that. $29 bucks for a new one!

They also have a 240V drill driver. Similar to a battery drill with all the rachets and keyless chucks. No other manufacturer makes a 240v drill like it and I bout one because I was sick of going to the shed and having flat batteries. This one is ready to go and goes all day, the only PITA is the power cord but you learn to live with that. The first on had built various sheds, lean too's, our kitchen. I am only on my second one now only because I dropped the first one off the roof and broke it. New one is variable speed too. $39 bucks!

I know you get what you pay for (I have a brilliant 650W Ryobi drill that is over 20 years old) but I also love sniffing out a bargain and if I can get something to do the job for less then I will go that way.
<<

CRUZAAMAD

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:49 pm

V8Patrol wrote:
stockhorse wrote:Masters is only 30% owned by woolworths the other 70% being Lowes hardware. Lowes have said they are prepared to carry a loss for 5 years perhaps more. Free trade agreements will greatly effect what masters could shortly have on its shelves and the lower Australian dollar will help Masters with their profit margins.

When PAULS milk (actually an Italian company -*Parmalat) came here they were more than happy to drop 20million a month while they were getting a foothold and sales going, they had a plan of that happening for 5 years
:shock:

they have a huge customer base overseas, in particular America..... that 20million is like you loosing a 5cent piece to the gap between the console and seat of your car
:crazyeyes:

THIS was brought into our local market in albury wodonga
as my uncle used to supply KIEWA/ DEVONDALE/MURRAY GOULBURN
now sadly deceased and farm went BUST.
PARMALAT went around on the sly to all milk bars in the area and offered FREE milk for a year on one condition THAT NO KIEWA/DEVONDALE milk/products is to be sold in the store.

It made the local paper and luckily the locals got behind the "local" KIEWA milk :armsup: :finger: Parmalat
and soon enough...
couple years later parmalat pissed off and another small dairy company took over the haberfields....then parmalat now something else...
just making cheese.
AUSTRALIA
WORTH LOOKING AT WORTH LOOKING AFTER
<<

stilivn

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Woolies UK ceo returned to the UK (possibly for health reasons) while he was there Woolies dropped him. Not one manager at Woolies received a incentive bonus last FY due to the companies financial position even if they had met the criteria, they are not in a good spot.
Have had no issue getting price match -10% at bunnings not long ago on a BBQ because masters had a similar one but different brand cheaper, didn't even ask for proof/advertisement.
1993 80 series, 4" tough dog adjustable bb lift kit, LPG, 35" MTR'S

brooksy wrote:Branden Tagg.....He is the King of all f@rkups & a Gimps bitch after hours
<<

RN

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:15 am

Return to General Chit-Chat