Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pickles Salvage Auctions Canberra

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

mkpatrol

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Pickles Salvage Auctions Canberra

Don't ask me, ask them. I'm just runnin for my life myself.
Well they are all following you...
No they ain't, I'm just in front...............
<<

GUtripper

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: Pickles Salvage Auctions Canberra

Or a car wreckers has gone under and this is at the orders of the liquidators
Good health is just the slowest rate at which you still die.
<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:23 pm

GUtripper wrote:Or a car wreckers has gone under and this is at the orders of the liquidators

I'm tipping a deceased estate who collected old classics. Looks like these had been left out in the open. Wreckers...I wouldn't discount this either .
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

mkpatrol

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Nope, I just found out he was in Parkwood (as in the eggs and in the north of Canberra) and he was evicted for whatever reason and they must be selling the stuff off to pay the debt.
<<

Emo

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Probably some good restoration projects in that lot. I like the Ford Zephyr ute.
<<

DamTriton

God of Athiests

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Bizarre as this sounds, I would love to source an Austin 1800 ("land crab") and repower it with a modern engine and electrics.

I used to own one as a first car and it was an impressive cruising car W I D E in the front and back with comfy seats and surprisingly quiet on road with excellent roadholding and a deceptively huge boot.

Only slight failing is that it was BMC and Lucas with their reliability issues. I had the gearstick disconnect at floor level, big end bearings go (well known "death rattles"), and the Prince of Darkness had his touch too every time it rained.
George Carlin, an American Comedian said; "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise that half of them are stupider than that".
<<

Banzy

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:42 pm

DamTriton wrote:Bizarre as this sounds, I would love to source an Austin 1800 ("land crab") and repower it with a modern engine and electrics.

I used to own one as a first car and it was an impressive cruising car W I D E in the front and back with comfy seats and surprisingly quiet on road with excellent roadholding and a deceptively huge boot.

Only slight failing is that it was BMC and Lucas with their reliability issues. I had the gearstick disconnect at floor level, big end bearings go (well known "death rattles"), and the Prince of Darkness had his touch too every time it rained.

PM Sent
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Banzy wrote:
DamTriton wrote:Bizarre as this sounds, I would love to source an Austin 1800 ("land crab") and repower it with a modern engine and electrics.

PM Sent

I nearly bought one in about 1986 that had most of the known issues sorted. One of my (now old) rally mates used it as his DD and the thing was impressive. The wideness made for nice roadholding. Well, at least they were really hard to tip :D
bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

date

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:19 am

My father would have any car on the road, as long as it was an Austin 1800. He had severe arthritis in his spine and had trouble folding up to get into a car. The 1800 doors opened wide, the seats were wide, he sould swivel around and get comfortable. Good visibility, very strong body, excellent ride, bloody heavy steering!. A friend of mine inherited a Mk 1 1800 when it was 18 yesars old. It had 7900 miles on the clock. The tyres were original, and even the moulding tits on the rear wheels were still there. They really treid to keep it, but it didn't have airconditioning, and at the time that was a priority. As said before, Lucas electrics let the thing down, but overall it was an excellent car.
<<

bru21

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:14 am

Banzy wrote:

PM Sent

Share the same passion I assume Barnzy - details to hot to print ha ha
ADHD Racing would like to thank
Mrs Bru @ Sunshine Coast Developmental Physiotherapy - www.scdphysio.com.au , Ryano @ Fourbys www.generaltire.com.au Blitzkrieg Motorsport
<<

RN

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:35 am

The father of a friend of mine in High School had two of them. Mk1 and later a Mk2 when the first one was written off.

The boot was huge, the seats were the most comfortable I had ever sat in and the front seats would lay back and meet up with the rear seat.

My uncle had one and I was impressed how it rode over the dirt roads. The 1800cc motor was really torquey and I think it had its roots from racing heritage???

Try finding one these days although I did locate a guy in Seaford that own one of the 1800 utilities. Rare as.

The later Tasman and Kimberly were nice also but the writing was on the wall for BMC.

RN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXnMHDtlZo
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

mkpatrol

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 am

One of the most comfortable cars I ever sat in during my apprenticship was a Renault 16 wagon..........it was still a bucket of pus though.........
<<

Banzy

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:36 am

bru21 wrote:
Banzy wrote:
PM Sent

Share the same passion I assume Barnzy - details to hot to print ha ha

Na, it was about something else.
<<

mkpatrol

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Aparrently the white charger went for 20g
<<

RN

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:45 pm

RN wrote:The father of a friend of mine in High School had two of them. Mk1 and later a Mk2 when the first one was written off.

The boot was huge, the seats were the most comfortable I had ever sat in and the front seats would lay back and meet up with the rear seat.

My uncle had one and I was impressed how it rode over the dirt roads. The 1800cc motor was really torquey and I think it had its roots from racing heritage???

Try finding one these days although I did locate a guy in Seaford that own one of the 1800 utilities. Rare as.

The later Tasman and Kimberly were nice also but the writing was on the wall for BMC.

RN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdXnMHDtlZo

Spotted this Kimberly this morning...on club rego.

<<

uted1

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Had a Kimberly once paid $150 for it almost as good as that one. nice chocolate brown paint :lol: was very quick and cheap to run but the electrics were sh@t once all the smoke escaped out of the Lucas wiring :roll:
1966 fj45v
68 fj 40 build http://downunder4x4.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9759
1964 fj45 Hot rod
1982 fj45 Troopie
<<

date

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 am

My father would have any car on the road, as long as it was an Austin 1800. After many years, it was battered and tired. A Kimberley was traded in on a new car locally, and I went in to look at buying it. When I asked the mechanic what it was like because I wanted to buy it for my father, he replied "Don't you like your father any more?" Further probing revealed that although this car was in good condition, others had bad reputations and he would not even lift the bonnet on this one. Apparently the tappets are shimmed and as the valves receded into their seats, the clearances went to zero and the valves burnt. I very nearly bought it anyway. Sadly, my father didn't last very long after that and my mother then went out and bought a Mazda 323. Ideal for her.

Return to General Chit-Chat