Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My next car?

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

BundyRumandCoke

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:12 pm

My next car?

So, the Patrol comes off lease in a couple of months time. I will be buying it outright at the end of the lease. $3200 is hard to pass up as the purchase price for a 10 year old GU patrol with all the fruit. So, it will become my playtoy. Now, in addition to the VE Commodore and the Mazda 2 that I lease for my 2 daughters, I will probably be looking for another lease vehicle to help reduce my taxable income.

First off, I was thinking about a new 6 litre V8 Holden Calais or SSV.

But recently, my thoughts have wandered to a Toyota 86 GTS. I like the look of them, especially with the optional (yet to be costed) rear wing. Took one for a short test drive, and liked it.

The conundrum, 6 litre V8 vs 2 litre horizontally opposed 4 Cyl, without even a turbo. I have yet to view or drive the equivalent Subaru BRZ. The eventual conclusion will be this car leased for 3 or 4 years, then returned, and a new, or near new if they don't still make them, Y61 leased, and all the fruit swapped from old to new Patrols, and the old one sold off.
Mud makes excellent toothpaste.
<<

Emo

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: My next car?

A friend of mine has a Toyota 86 (not the GT) and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of it, is that it's slow. It handles really well and I can see the potential of it on a long, winding mountain road but I'd be frustrated with one as an everyday driver. It's a sheep in wolfs clothes. I'd be going for the V8.
<<

V8Patrol

God of Magnificant Ideas!

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:17 am

talk about chalk & cheese :shock:

V8 sedan V's a N/A 4 cylinder coupe (N/A = naturally aspirated or Not Applicable)

you seriously need to take the blinkers off, there's a huge variety of car makes and models out there to choose from....
one point you've also clearly omitted is resale vale...... neither of those two is going to be worth jack-shit when they are ~5 years old !!!
:finger:

the Toyota 86 GTS might , if your lucky, be worth something in 40years time, not for its classic history that's yet to be written ( but in reality wont be a great pedigree) will more likely be based on its rareity

my tip.....
move along, nothing to see here, & keep shopping
:armsup:

I drove one of these recently..... fascinating fun car, drove it from Adelaide to AliceSprings, and yes I was in a hurry ;) and it was FUN :armsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvdTQN-GS4

old mate chose one of these...... impressive little rocket :shock: would love to race prep one and go racing with it :armsup:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hyun ... Q#imgdii=_
And your cry-baby, whinyassed opinion would be.....?
<<

udlman

King of Wishful Thinking

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:33 am

If you have driven an 86, the BRZ will be exactly the same. Like driving a Ford XF ute and the equivalent Nissan.
Rule #1 - Never argue with an idiot.
Rule #2 - If you find an idiot trying to argue a point, Refer to Rule #1
<<

V8Patrol

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:37 am

udlman wrote:.....Like driving a Ford XF ute ......

pmsl......
when I first saw the 2 pics BRC posted my thought was an instant "grandpa car" and a "mid-life crisis car"...

pick one

<<

chris_stoffa

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:37 am

V8Patrol wrote:
udlman wrote:.....Like driving a Ford XF ute ......

pmsl......
when I first saw the 2 pics BRC posted my thought was an instant "grandpa car" and a "mid-life crisis car"...

pick one

It's his crisis, he's worked for it and you come along and put a damper on it :lol:

Seems a man can't even have a mid life crisis in peace any more on this forum

Should we move this to "Personal Support" :lol:
Cancel my subscription - I don't want any of your issues
<<

BundyRumandCoke

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Well, I am a grandpa 3 times over, and I am 53 in less than a month, so I guess it is mid life. It seems the BRZ is mid spec, between the GT and GTS Toyota specs. And why is it so darn hard to get a price on the net. And I have been on OL long enough to realise I was going to get a bit of a ribbing from the youngsters. Water off a ducks back.

The beauty about resale value is, I really don't have to worry about it. As long as the vehicle is kept in good condition, I can hand it back to the lease company at the end of the lease, and walk away.
Mud makes excellent toothpaste.
<<

chris_stoffa

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:54 pm

BundyRumandCoke wrote:Well, I am a grandpa 3 times over, and I am 53 in less than a month, so I guess it is mid life.

Bundy, if it is mid-life can you tell me how many people of 106 years of age that you know of :lol: :lol:

Just do it :armsup:
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:55 am

chris_stoffa wrote:
BundyRumandCoke wrote:Well, I am a grandpa 3 times over, and I am 53 in less than a month, so I guess it is mid life.

Bundy, if it is mid-life can you tell me how many people of 106 years of age that you know of :lol: :lol:

Mate, I've got just the thing for you :armsup: :armsup:

It even comes with its own holders for little blue pills and little yellow ones :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

V8Patrol

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:43 am

BundyRumandCoke wrote:?......I have been on OL long enough to realise I was going to get a bit of a ribbing from the youngsters. Water off of a ducks back.......

Who are you calling a youngster ???

I got a couple up on ya :armsup:

Bloody whippersnappers :finger:
<<

chris_stoffa

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:36 am

Goatse.AJ wrote:
chris_stoffa wrote:

Mate, I've got just the thing for you :armsup: :armsup:

It even comes with its own holders for little blue pills and little yellow ones :lol: :lol: :lol:

But nothing for my little grey ones or white ones
<<

bru21

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:29 am

I like the 86, but it would need some serious work to make it a mans car. 55% of the owners are 55 year old woman. When they have work done they are touch and go 'ricer'

There is no way in hell I would buy a high end Aussie car. It is like taking a fist full of cash and flushing it. 60k = 5k when you sell it. My XR6 was complete rubbish, and I promised myself I would never go down that path again.
When the entire exhaust fell off whilst driving, it was just one of the defining moments.

Buy a Prado or something. 60k for a diesel GXL and they hold their value well. A 6L motor is pointless in the over policed era we live in.
ADHD Racing would like to thank
Mrs Bru @ Sunshine Coast Developmental Physiotherapy - www.scdphysio.com.au , Ryano @ Fourbys www.generaltire.com.au Blitzkrieg Motorsport
<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 am

There is the possibility that the last of the Holden / Ford V8s ( probably the special package last release jobbies ) may hold their value as a collectors car.
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

chris_stoffa

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 am

RN wrote:There is the possibility that the last of the Holden / Ford V8s ( probably the special package last release jobbies ) may hold their value as a collectors car.

I don't think I'd risk 60K to wait 25 years for the investment to come good, particularly as they don't have the race history and mystique of the Monaros , GTHO's and A9X's etc

Maybe in 10-15 years a good 2nd hand unit might start to show value by then.

Any way by then I most probably will have lost interest in all things earthly :lol:
<<

80's_delirious

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 am

Ya dreamin RN.

Got to agree with Bru. A "high end" falcodore is simply a turd rolled in cheap glitter. Not even polished.

Being the last piece of junk off the line of 100's of 1000's of taxis and corporate hacks adds not a shred of value.

Followed one of the little yota things the other day. Had a 2ft high wing on the boot. Just screamed boy racer, P plate, wannabe ricer
RN wrote:pussy is out, its the log for me... Thank you Jesus.
<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:06 am

There are people who are ordering these types with this belief....I wouldn't take the gamble either,but what makes a car valuable / collectible is in the eye of the beholder. Even GTHO look a likes are bringing decent coin.

There a far better cars than a Falcon or Holden, such as BMWs etc but they too lose a lot of value within 5 years.
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

udlman

King of Wishful Thinking

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Turbo Hyundai Veloster maybe.
Rule #1 - Never argue with an idiot.
Rule #2 - If you find an idiot trying to argue a point, Refer to Rule #1
<<

Emo

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:13 pm

If it's a lease car then re-sale value isn't really an issue. The current new car offerings are pretty grim at the moment.
<<

MARKx4

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:06 pm

If you afre looking at a 86, please get the BRZ. Much better car in every way and give credit to the company that did 90% of the hard work
Its not cool, unless it's got boost :)
<<

V8Patrol

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:50 pm

V8Patrol wrote:old mate chose one of these...... impressive little rocket :shock: would love to race prep one and go racing with it :armsup:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=hyun ... Q#imgdii=_

:roll:

udlman wrote:Turbo Hyundai Veloster maybe.

Agreed, good sales, very commited owner groups, bloody quick little car, easy & cheap to modify, absolute on the rail handling.......

like I said..... would love to race prep one and go racing with it without doubt it would make one mighty little weekend warrior for club days etc, and yet a car the missus could run off to the shops in without killing a few on the way there or back

here ya go.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XntHyf34Daw

<<

St Jimmy

Van-tastic!

Location: .."I MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT ILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT".

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:16 am

slugs are just snails that sold their belongings for drug money

Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.