Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bad day at the office

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:41 am

Bad day at the office

Attended this prang today.. female passenger didn't survive. Tragic as it was the couple were also attending a wedding and were only 100 metres from their destiny. Driver entered cross intersection and failed to see a vehicle approaching from his left. The passenger was the same age as one of my daughters, who by co-incidence rang me whilst I was at the scene to have a chat.

Hug your kids.

I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

St Jimmy

Van-tastic!

Location: .."I MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT ILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT".

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:22 am

Re: Bad day at the office

Furrck :shock: :shock:
Poor girl Rest in Piece
slugs are just snails that sold their belongings for drug money

Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.
<<

Emo

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:15 am

I don't know how you do it RN. I know I couldn't.
<<

chris_stoffa

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:02 am

Sadly she is just one of 12 so far this week.
Cancel my subscription - I don't want any of your issues
<<

longlux

Subversive Bucolicism

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:09 am

I went to a rail crossing fatality a few years back, I don't know how you can do it multiple times.

Was the colour of the car, head lights & the ambient light factors in this?
Workplace Safety :
Destroying our forests one Take 5 at a time.

Every time you do a Take 5 an Orangutan cries.

https://www.facebook.com/shadowthetravelcat
<<

80's_delirious

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:14 am

Emo wrote:I don't know how you do it RN. I know I couldn't.

X eleventyboggeddyzillion!

There's no way I could have taken a call from my child in that situation without losing my shit RN. hats off to you guys
RN wrote:pussy is out, its the log for me... Thank you Jesus.
<<

RN

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:58 am

longlux wrote:I went to a rail crossing fatality a few years back, I don't know how you can do it multiple times.

Was the colour of the car, head lights & the ambient light factors in this?

I think colours of the cars makes a difference, and that they were from out of town. Nearly at their destination and there was a distraction on the other side of the intersection.
One mistake. .....lives ruined.

Ambos do it tough I reckon.
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

Jimbo

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:44 pm

I have been first on the scene once back when i was around 20. Car (mazda 323) was totally crushed by a twin steer heavy rigid into the kings way corner barrier before they made it a softer one. The truckie got out and we kind of just walked around in shock and he wouldn't let me go under the truck as he said she is dead and it will not be good. Eventually i jumped the concrete barrier, and to my surprise the car was a little more intact and there she was jammed against the steering wheel but alive and moaning.
It didn't hit me until 30 minutes later when the cops said i could go. Not fun at all.

The next day i rang the Alfred and after a bit of pleading and speaking to some nurses found out she was ok and given a room number. I rocked up and to my surprise it was my next door neighbors best friend that i had met several times at the pub! It was definitely a relief to see her but can still picture the whole accident perfectly in my head.
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

Tiny

Road Ranger

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:52 am

Yup, grey cars, wrong light, there have been times I've inly seen them due to a reflection off a windscreen :o
If the above post did not offend you in any way please PM me so I can try harder!!
<<

RO8M

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:10 am

RN wrote:...were only 100 metres from their destiny.

I humbly submit she met her destiny while 100m from their destination.

Thanks for doing a very tough job. (to you and all other emergency services)
My name is Rob.

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.

This is legal advice.
<<

RN

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:16 am

RO8M wrote:
RN wrote:...were only 100 metres from their destiny.

I humbly submit she met her destiny while 100m from their destination.

Thanks for doing a very tough job. (to you and all other emergency services)

I meant destination but perhaps.....

Poor bubby.
<<

Emo

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:28 am

My bad day at the office is when the printer doesn't work, people cancel meetings with little or no notice and trains are cancelled for some reason or other.

It's all pretty pissant really in the scheme of things.
<<

GQ4X4

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Part of my role is being a Senior Road Safety Auditor - whilst nowhere near as confronting as the frontline stuff the Police and Ambo's do we are typically called in by Main Roads to conduct audits following fatal vehicle crashes.
It is surprising the amount of vehicle crashes that are caused by vehicle colour and the contrast between them and the background. One of the worst ones was a vehicle, similar to the colour pictured travelling along a stretch of highway which has then connected with another vehicle in a 90 degree fashion (the other vehicle didnt see it and pulled out from a T-Junction) our main findings were that the vehicle which was struck did not see the approaching vehicle due to the colour of the vehicle and how it blended in to the background which was wire rope safety barrier and dense bushland. There were also other factors such as poor intersection control and too high approach speed but the main one was the lack of visibility of oncoming cars.

The reason I mention this is because it is a rather large cause of vehicular accidents at T Junctions here in W.A. Well, that and the fact a lot of people just plain old dont pay attention or their capabilities (and that of their vehicles) far outweighs their aspirations.
<<

date

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Modern vehicles are mostly the wrong colours. They are either too dark (invisible in poor light conditions), or grey or silver (blends in with the road surface). That is precisely the reason I will have only white cars. They can blend in with fogs, but fogs are rare and even then, I have lights on in iffy conditions. My philosophy is "Here I am - don't hit me". I would consider a bright yellow car if they made them, but they are not on the menu these days.

I learnt this lesson many years ago riding my bicycle out on an open country road. I had a pale yellow shirt on, and I had about 6 cars come far too close for comfort. The next day, I rode the same route. There was more traffic, and I had a bright orange shirt on. Not one car came close to me. I did a fair bit of cycling in Indonesia (suicidal in retrospect), but always had bright orange clothing and hat. Cyclists are near the bottom of the pecking order on Indonesian roads, but most of the drivers saw me and what I was, and were too afraid to hit an Orang Putih (white man).

An acquaintance I knew used to run a rental car business on the side. He leased the cars, and hired them out during the ski season. He had a fleet of 6 cars. Within a week, he lost 2 of them - head-on collisions. A week later, he had a head-on himself in his own car. All 3 cars were silver. Fortunately, no-one was killed, but he lost 3 cars in 2 weeks. He replaced them all with yellow cars and never had another incident.

The number of cars I see there days driving along with no headlights on (or even just parking lights on) in iffy conditions scares me. They are invisible. Particularly the dark grey metallic ones.
<<

V8Patrol

God of Magnificant Ideas!

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:13 am

date wrote:...I would consider a bright yellow car if they made them, but they are not on the menu these days...

I've seen one of these up close, and its an awesome color :armsup:

tangerine scream is the color and is on the ford focus ST....

if that floats ya boat..... try...

Under the hood of the 2015 Ford Focus ST is a 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbocharged engine that delivers 252 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and torque max of 270 lb.-ft. at 2,500 rpm.

more @
http://carfanaticsblog.com/2014/06/26/2 ... -revealed/
And your cry-baby, whinyassed opinion would be.....?
<<

RN

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:34 am

GQ4X4 wrote:Part of my role is being a Senior Road Safety Auditor - whilst nowhere near as confronting as the frontline stuff the Police and Ambo's do we are typically called in by Main Roads to conduct audits following fatal vehicle crashes.
It is surprising the amount of vehicle crashes that are caused by vehicle colour and the contrast between them and the background. One of the worst ones was a vehicle, similar to the colour pictured travelling along a stretch of highway which has then connected with another vehicle in a 90 degree fashion (the other vehicle didnt see it and pulled out from a T-Junction) our main findings were that the vehicle which was struck did not see the approaching vehicle due to the colour of the vehicle and how it blended in to the background which was wire rope safety barrier and dense bushland. There were also other factors such as poor intersection control and too high approach speed but the main one was the lack of visibility of oncoming cars.

The reason I mention this is because it is a rather large cause of vehicular accidents at T Junctions here in W.A. Well, that and the fact a lot of people just plain old dont pay attention or their capabilities (and that of their vehicles) far outweighs their aspirations.

Just for the record the other car in the collision was SILVER.

I made an observation yesterday, after purchasing another car being SILVER ( and a convertible) :D , I drove our other car being a SILVER Maxima to the shopping centre and by that time the car park had thinned. Out of about 20 to 25 cars remaining, 10 were SILVER. As I was driving out a SILVER coloured Territory drove in and parked next to me.

SILVER is the new white.

There is something about colours...when I was in the then TOG, our marked cars were yellow ( a special pig ment :finger: sourced from the US) It stood out like dogs balls and most truck drivers were geared up to look out for that colour I can tell you.

During WW2 the RAF used to paint their Photo Recon aircraft either pale blue or even a shade of pink that at height tended to blend in with the sky.

Daytime running lights have been a great improvement but that concept isn't new as a '79 Volvo wagon we owned had them. Took the rest of the world a long time to catch on.
<<

80's_delirious

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:30 am

V8Patrol wrote:
date wrote:...I would consider a bright yellow car if they made them, but they are not on the menu these days...

I've seen one of these up close, and its an awesome color :armsup:

tangerine scream is the color and is on the ford focus ST....

if that floats ya boat..... try...

Under the hood of the 2015 Ford Focus ST is a 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbocharged engine that delivers 252 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and torque max of 270 lb.-ft. at 2,500 rpm.

more @
http://carfanaticsblog.com/2014/06/26/2 ... -revealed/

The worst thing about owning one of those is telling friends and family you're gay
RN wrote:pussy is out, its the log for me... Thank you Jesus.
<<

mkpatrol

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:39 am

date wrote:Modern vehicles are mostly the wrong colours. They are either too dark (invisible in poor light conditions), or grey or silver (blends in with the road surface). That is precisely the reason I will have only white cars. They can blend in with fogs, but fogs are rare and even then, I have lights on in iffy conditions. My philosophy is "Here I am - don't hit me". I would consider a bright yellow car if they made them, but they are not on the menu these days.

I actually find that I see white cars better in the fog because they reflect the light better off the paintwork.
Don't ask me, ask them. I'm just runnin for my life myself.
Well they are all following you...
No they ain't, I'm just in front...............
<<

mkpatrol

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 am

RN wrote:Daytime running lights have been a great improvement but that concept isn't new as a '79 Volvo wagon we owned had them. Took the rest of the world a long time to catch on.

Yes and no, they can create light pollution which in turn can sheild other road users such as cyclists and smaller vehicles.

No safety item is perfect.

Are the road users getting more aggressive RN?

I think they are, yesterday I was abused for taking a lane on my push bike while trying to negotiate two roundbaouts that are 50m away from each other. All the cars gave way to me on the first one but between there and the second one the first car HAD to pass me. There was not enough room as there is a concrete island in the middle. Then car three was a dumped Merc with two bogans inside who proceeded to abuse me for being there. After the roundabouts there is clear road for 500m.

All for 15 seconds at the absolute most.
<<

Emo

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 am

I reckon that drivers are getting more aggressive. Roads are also getting more and clogged with traffic which doesn't help.
<<

mkpatrol

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:44 am

Emo wrote:I reckon that drivers are getting more aggressive. Roads are also getting more and clogged with traffic which doesn't help.

Yep, and they seem to be exceptionally bad here and we have no traffic to speak of.
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:32 pm

I presume the wedding didn't proceed on the day. I imagine there'd be a whole lot of very traumatised people as a result of this prang. :cry: :cry:

mkpatrol wrote:
RN wrote:Daytime running lights have been a great improvement but that concept isn't new as a '79 Volvo wagon we owned had them. Took the rest of the world a long time to catch on.

Yes and no, they can create light pollution which in turn can sheild other road users such as cyclists and smaller vehicles. THIS! Although parking light-sized running lights are a whole lot better. I've had a word with a few motorists for tailgating me when I'm on the motorcycle in low light. Others see only the car behind you and judge distance accordingly. I tend to move around a lot in my lane when I have a vehicle behind me so I don't "blend in" to the background lights so much, even when in the car. Young women seem to be particularly over-represented with tailgating behaviour, and way too often they're on their farkin' mobile phone and just as likely to flip the bird. :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: Had one who nearly ate our rear bumper out the front of RN's work the othe day. Mrs was driving, so I videod the dick-wad. She back straight off, but continued flippin' the bird and carrying on :roll:

The super bright LED ones on Audis (and now all the wanker copy-cats) are wanky and do obscure objects around the vehicle sporting them, but that's sort of typical of contemporary Audi drivers - "Fark everybody else, so long as I'm alright".

No safety item is perfect.

I think they are, yesterday I was abused for taking a lane on my push bike while trying to negotiate two roundbaouts that are 50m away from each other. All the cars gave way to me on the first one but between there and the second one the first car HAD to pass me. There was not enough room as there is a concrete island in the middle. Then car three was a dumped Merc with two bogans inside who proceeded to abuse me for being there. After the roundabouts there is clear road for 500m.

bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

stockhorse

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I believe that the aggression towards bike riders stems from the "I pay lots of $$$$$ to drive on the road and you pay nothing" type mentality. This is not helped by bike riders always stating they want better infrastructure with bike lanes etc but never pay for the improvements they want by way of registration etc.

I was abused and flipped the bird by a young female driver who drove straight through a stop sign and out in front of me . Her mother who was sitting in my passenger seat at the time, bought me her daughters car keys later in the day and told me to keep them for 2 weeks as her daughter was grounded.

I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes.
<<

date

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Getting back to the meaning behind the original post, two things come to mind...

1 RN has a lousy job. Who would want to have to attend such carnage on a daily basis?
2 This could happen to you, me or anyone else in Outers. It doesn't take much and when it does, it happens so quickly, there isn't much you can do to avoid it. In over 42 years of holding a licence, I have never hit another car. I have had 4 cars ram me - all from the left side. I still bear the damage from the last one. I have had 3 cars hit me from behind. Now I live in the country, my exposure to other road users has decreased, but the speeds they are doing has increased significantly. I was taught defensive driving, and I think it helped me avoid a few incidents. Now, all I have to do is avoid hitting someone because I have announced my history.....
<<

mkpatrol

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 pm

stockhorse wrote:Are the road users getting more aggressive RN?

I believe that the aggression towards bike riders stems from the "I pay lots of $$$$$ to drive on the road and you pay nothing" type mentality. This is not helped by bike riders always stating they want better infrastructure with bike lanes etc but never pay for the improvements they want by way of registration etc.

All infrastructre is paid for by consolidated revenue, which is all money collected by the respective governement, not just registration. I have hear that argument many times before an by that logic we shouldnt have public schools because the majority of people dont pay fees, we shouldnt have playgrounds for kids to play in because they dont pay ect....

Its a pretty flawed argument that one.

I was abused and flipped the bird by a young female driver who drove straight through a stop sign and out in front of me . Her mother who was sitting in my passenger seat at the time, bought me her daughters car keys later in the day and told me to keep them for 2 weeks as her daughter was grounded.

I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes.

Hehehehehehe, thats gold! There should be more of it.
<<

bru21

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Sorry to see what you went through - my heart goes out to the family, and you RN.

As far as people getting aggressive;

As the speed limits decrease, I find myself way more frustrated with slow drivers. I feel if the road that is now 80, at least do 80 and not 60!!!!! I essentially have 2 full time jobs (work 7 days) and my time is precious.
How people slow polk their way through life, I simply cannot fathom.

The speed decrease causes another issue too - the vehicles per second past a point decreases thus, the carrying capacity of the road decreases - and increased congestion results.
Bring back the 10% rule I say.

I used to commute 100k's to Brisbane daily only a few years back, now I can't understand how people do. Driving sucks.
ADHD Racing would like to thank
Mrs Bru @ Sunshine Coast Developmental Physiotherapy - www.scdphysio.com.au , Ryano @ Fourbys www.generaltire.com.au Blitzkrieg Motorsport
<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:10 pm

This may make you feel better Bru

Some times I spend hours driving up and down the dual lanes here pulling over people who hog the right hand lane at 20 kmph under the speed limit.
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
<<

date

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Toady:
"Some times I spend hours driving up and down the dual lanes here pulling over people who hog the right hand lane at 20 kmph under the speed limit."

Is that true? I have never seen anyone pulled over for driving in the right lane, at or below the speed limit - anywhere. Some people seem to think it is their God given right to occupy the fast lane any time, anywhere.
<<

RN

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:04 pm

date wrote:Toady:
"Some times I spend hours driving up and down the dual lanes here pulling over people who hog the right hand lane at 20 kmph under the speed limit."

Is that true? I have never seen anyone pulled over for driving in the right lane, at or below the speed limit - anywhere. Some people seem to think it is their God given right to occupy the fast lane any time, anywhere.

Happens...last week we pulled over a guy in the right lane on a freeway and he turned out to have a suspended licence and also wanted on warrants. His GF in the passenger seat was also suspended. He was a guest of the guvment overnight ...
<<

toaddog

Tickle me!

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:53 pm

date wrote:Toady:

Yes they shit me.

Trying to get somewhere in a hurry with lights and siren and some window licking retard how is flat out driving without his thumb up his or her arse.
2008 Patrol wagon and 99 Patrol TD Ute
Cairns
Next

Return to General Chit-Chat